Trajectory of Expectation


Time and time again, I get caught out by my trajectory of expectations. Whether it's with career, my children, relationships or training. Expectations hold the potential to trip us up. Really shits me! You? With an unchecked trajectory of expectations, they can soon become unrealistic and lead you to heartbreak in one way or another. Yet, without some goal or forward thinking in mind, we just become a ghost, floating through life, unable to ground ourselves in anything. 

Sensei reminds us each year about setting our intentions for the year of training ahead. His view, is that without a goal set in the new year, we meander through our keiko with no real focus.  He says this lack of focus is discernible in our movement. We move without intent, without determination and more importantly, without the mindset of Jissen (real combat).


I believe this to be true. I have had years during the past 21, where my training was a little 'auto-pilot'. Keiko, was just what I always did. I went to training because I loved it, the camaraderie, the workout, the post keiko glow and endorphin boost. But I wasn't there with any drive. I'm not talking about ambition. That's different and not the ideal of martial training.

So, this year, 2020, I asked my students to bring some focused intent to training. To think about why you're here and what you want to achieve. They don't have to be lofty or altruistic goals. Anything will do. Perhaps you'd like to improve flexibility, or footwork, or maintaining a relaxed but focused intent, Kakusei Mushin? Maybe you want to achieve your shodan grading, get your hakama and set the next goal towards nidan and then sandan and then, with any luck, Dojcho so you can attend the teacher seminars Sensei holds biannually?

Choose something, anything, or you'll end up floating through 2020 like a ghost. No room for 'Caspers' in this martial study.  Gambatte!!!

Travis
Katsuyoshi
Dojocho - Kensho Dojo


Comments

mah said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular Posts