Self Training - 自習 Jishu




People often underestimate the benefits of Jishu, solo training.  They assume, that without the feedback of a partner, there's no point.  I disagree.

I have often had to make do with Jishu at times in my life when I simply couldn't get to the dojo or there was no one to train with and teacher to teach.  My movement has always had it's peaks in learning curve when I've had to be self reliant for keiko.

Going through ukemi, kicks, punches, weapons work (Kihon Toho or Shiho Giri alone can give you weeks of work to do), and not forgetting conditioning and fitness are all avenues to be taken advantage of when there's no class to attend.

A new student has recently improved out of sight due to his own eagerness to learn and train more.  His movements have been greatly improved and honed just through Jishu at home. Well Done!

We can all improve, we just have to be willing to put in the work. Push!

Travis de Clifford

Sessa Takuma

Comments

Popular Posts